Thursday, May 29, 2008

Taking time to stop and smell the (garlic) roses


Just down the road from Dripping Springs, Texas is the "village" of Wimberley where every Wednesday a farmer's market is held from 3-6pm, rain or shine, in the Lion's Club parking lot. And every Wednesday from 3-6pm I feel like I'm just too busy with work to go to the farmer's market, but yesterday, with a kindly push from my mom who lives nearby, we set off down Ranch Road 12 with empty canvas bags. We returned bearing loaded bags brimming with organic beets, blackberries, onions, tomatoes, japanese eggplant, squash, greens, and elephant garlic, still clutching its bridal bouquet of tiny lavender flowers, and destined to be deflowered this evening by a handsome fish curry.

While this will not be my last time going to the Wimberley farmer's market (indeed, next Wednesday can not get here fast enough), this will be my first time cooking with elepant garlic. Word on the street is that it has a milder, sweeter flavor, the "Charlotte" of garlics, if you will. And, on that note, I can put "Sex and the City" in my labels now.

No comments: