Monday, June 16, 2008

Do the Dewgarita

On the heels of my recent Dewbellini success I decided it was time to try a Dewgarita. I've kept my harvested dewberries (similar to a blackberry, dewberries grow wild here in the Texas Hill Country) in the freezer and mete out required amounts as warranted. Thusly, I whipped up another round of dewberry puree* and mixed it with tequila and my favorite margarita mixer. Just a couple of spoonfuls of the puree gave the margarita a great color and just a hint of dewberry flavor. And, yes, I used a mixer, but there is only one I will use: Freshies Fresh Lime Margarita Mix. I am a freak for making things myself but this particular margarita mix really does taste fresh, I haven't been able to make my own any better and, most importantly, there is no nuclear green glow.

*I put a handful of dewberries in a pan with water just to cover and sugar to taste. Brought to a boil then turned down the heat and let the berries stew just until the berries were soft and the liquid had thickened some. Cooled for a bit (so the top of the blender wouldn't blow off), tossed all in the blender, pressed a button (insert whirring sound) and, voila, dewberry puree.

No comments: